Friday, October 16, 2009

Marching On To Spain



The All Whites marching on to Spain in 1982 was one of the greatest moments of my life and this piece of music has played a huge part in making me the person that I am. You see, I like to "sing and shout and clap". Especially at the football.

I reckon you can tell alot about a person when you find out how old they were when the All Whites took on Scotland, the Soviet Union and Brazil in '82. I feel for those who were, say under the age of 5 years at the time and so not able to fully appreciate the occasion (or, heavens forbid, weren't even born!).

I spent 4 days in a row searching for this record in the 45s at Real Groovey. I found it on the third day - there's something biblical in that. Some how I knew that I would find it - yet it was the only copy I found. If I was ever interviewed for that Weekend Herald Canvas Magazine feature "What would you save if your house was on fire?" I would without hesitation say my World Cup 1982 Official Team Record (featuring the World Cup Squad and special guest star Ray Woolf).



The A side that was a B side:

Alot of people said we'd never make it through,
Said it was just a great impossibility.
But as we pressed ahead they saw what we could do,
and what was once a dream became reality...

2 comments:

  1. Ric,
    Stack here, got your email but the reply bounced. Hope you are well. Will be at the game with bells on!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll watch out for the guy wearing
    pink with a lime green trim and tractor shapes...I suggest everyone else does as well.

    ReplyDelete